Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2024 Whitecaps

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Honestly don’t even really know what to say about this or who to be mad at. My kid is why I paid way more than I cared to. Appreciate the club cutting food cost but you doubled/tripled ticket prices. Im in the rafters to watch the whitecaps now. Stoked.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Copa America is around the corner, and Miami plays Atlanta at home Wednesday night... frankly, I blame MLS for scheduling the trip to Vancouver like this - it gives Miami all the "load management" cover they need. Not that it will save the members of their club who do attend from an extremely hostile crowd, nor should it.

The Whitecaps are going to wear this, particularly with all the new seasons ticket holders who bought seasons just so they'd have a ticket for this game. For once, it's not really their fault. The only thing they can do is punish Miami and beat them, sending a message that if you want to win in Vancouver, you'd best show up with your best eleven.

I don't think it will be Steve Francis level ugly, but they should probably have a fairly robust security presence around the Miami bench...

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As I told my friends in Hong Kong and more recently in Vancouver, I would not bet some $300-500 dollars that Messi and Suarez would bother crossing the border to Canada. They did both play in Montreal but Vancouver is much further away and as mtkb says Copa America is coming up.
The organizer in Hong Kong claims it was guaranteed and while he was in HK Stadium he didn't do more than wave to the crowd.

Many in HK hadn't seemed to notice during my 8 years that the big clubs from UK and Europe didn't have their big stars pre-season as that should have been a caution flag. One friend told me at least Messi should have spoke and hung out with the crowd. That was more than naive.

I feel bad for those Caps and Messi fans who feel fleeced but I'm not surprised.

Oh I did see Beckham play for the Galaxy in Hong Kong but that was a bit different. While people saw LA players out enjoying the sights, food etc and having a few drinks, no one saw Beckham anywhere. That might explain why Beckham played harder than most of the rest.
At least the food will be half price.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see on Twitter some saying they think it's related to artificial turf but I'd go with mtkb that in Messi's case it was Copa America and my view that these guys don't give a damn about the nice Vancouver scenery. Not sure Suarez will make the Uruguay squad as he wasn't picked for the end of March international break team but he also went to Miami hoping he'd get back on the national team.

This means nothing but Messi on artificial turf:

Lionel Messi made it "clear that artificial playing surfaces will not prevent him from appearing" in any of Inter Miami's upcoming matches. Messi on Thursday said, “Truth is it’s been a while since I’ve played on artificial turf, but I have no problem adapting myself again.” Six MLS stadiums feature artificial turf: the Sounders' Lumen Field, Whitecaps' BC Place, Timbers' Providence Park, Revolutions’s Gillette Stadium, Charlotte FC’s Bank of America Stadium and Atlanta United’s Mercedes-Benz Stadium, which Miami is set to visit on Sept. 16 (THE ATHLETIC, 8/18).

Michael

Jan 25, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whitecaps as a business has an opportunity to act either as a for-profit business, or an organization that is compassionate to their customer base. My feeling is its the former.

TIcket prices are at a minimum x10 in their pricing. The official word I got from the Whitecaps sales rep is they were priced based on demand... (no shite if Messi was coming). Now that he's not, nor any of the headliner players, would they willingly refund back the premium to a typical non-messi game?

Thanks but 50% off food and drinks isn't cutting it.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
there's an interesting argument to be made for a class action... if you could ever show that the league and Miami knew that this was always to be a rest weekend for the stars, but happily allowed Vancouver to market the visit anyway for the ticket sales...

whistle blower

Mar 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Feel bad for the fans that have supported Whitecap's from the beginning only to be continuously let down.

I have a friend and his family that have travelled here from Calgary to celebrate there kids 8th birthday. Kids been in tears since hearing that Messi is not playing yesterday - flights - hotels - food - tickets
Total typical shitshow by whitecaps for inflating ticket prices and marketing this game as a chance to see Messi.

50% off food and beverage's off is only to cover the costs of what they have already ordered for a 50000 crowd.
Why do we even have a MLS team here, no superstars want to come to play, just a bunch of no names.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Whitecaps can't make other teams play certain players.

Surely anyone who bought a ticket had to know there was a chance Messi would not play.

Obviously it is easy to be upset because this is a clear choice not to play (as opposed to being injured) but this has happened already in MLS. There were games down the stretch that Messi did not play last season after coming over from Europe and you could not give the tickets away once it was announced he would not be playing.

The Whitecaps are a shite show no doubt, but tough to blame them.

You bought a chance to see Messi, not a guarantee...

If you bought season tickets, this game was at regular price. "Premium" game pricing is common in all sports for single game tickets and match-packs. It costs more to see the Leafs on a Saturday against the Canucks than San Jose on a Tuesday.

Did they charge more? Sure, but it is tough to say they were "predatory".

The over-the-odds prices were in the secondary market. If you were paying thousands of dollars for tickets chances are that was not headed into the Whitecaps pockets.

While I cannot say I feel sorry for the Whitecaps here, they have been dealt a pretty lousy hand here...

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’ll take the Messi was a gamble argument but I think all soccer people thought ok, Suarez, Messi, Busquets no matter what it least we will get some star to watch and maybe worth the risk for the desperate kid asking to see Messi. I certainly didn’t buy them for me.

To not even get on a plane, wave to the people, kiss the babies and sign a few autographs? fcuk the Caps. fcuk Messi. Beckham I still love you.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Whitecaps can't make other teams play certain players.

Surely anyone who bought a ticket had to know there was a chance Messi would not play.

Obviously it is easy to be upset because this is a clear choice not to play (as opposed to being injured) but this has happened already in MLS. There were games down the stretch that Messi did not play last season after coming over from Europe and you could not give the tickets away once it was announced he would not be playing.

The Whitecaps are a shite show no doubt, but tough to blame them.

You bought a chance to see Messi, not a guarantee...

If you bought season tickets, this game was at regular price. "Premium" game pricing is common in all sports for single game tickets and match-packs. It costs more to see the Leafs on a Saturday against the Canucks than San Jose on a Tuesday.

Did they charge more? Sure, but it is tough to say they were "predatory".

The over-the-odds prices were in the secondary market. If you were paying thousands of dollars for tickets chances are that was not headed into the Whitecaps pockets.

While I cannot say I feel sorry for the Whitecaps here, they have been dealt a pretty lousy hand here...
It wasn't marketed as "hey he might turn up". That's where the Caps are in some trouble, I think... people relied on their clear representations that he would be turning up - along with the others - and spent their money accordingly. I think there's a class-action there against the Caps, Miami, and MLS...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lots of stories popping up of people with flights and hotels to come see Messi in Vancouver. If you're going to travel to see him, why the fcuk not go to Miami for what would likely be the same expense when you factor in their tickets sell for only $100USD, even on the resale sites. The weather is a whole lot better too!

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

If true...this would help the lawsuit idea @mtkb

Not sure where the liability would lie though. If you could prove Whitecaps knew then maybe. I still think Miami has the right to use their players how they want.

Would be an interesting case to be a part of.

oranje

Nov 12, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Whitecaps have now offered one free ticket to a future game for anyone who attends tonight. That doesn’t really help me as a season-ticket holder. The disappointment for me is that over the years. I’ve had the opportunity to see some excellent players from other teams come to Vancouver. That is the reward for being a season-ticket holder because I know that the Whitecaps will never sign anyone like that. Over the years I have seen Pirlo, Beckham, Ibrahimović, Silva, Keane, Lampard, and Schweinsteiger. It was to be my 10-year-old sons first opportunity to see world-class players in person. Now he thinks they are world-class assholes. My tickets are for seats right behind the visitors bench. Over the years I have had nice conversations with Viera and DeBoer, among others before they put in the pitch side bar. It seems that the Whitecaps and MLS are determined to ruin my enjoyment.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes that would have been pretty cool. Honestly that was one of the worst events I’ve ever been too. went to get food in the 15th minute, chose the shortest and shittiest spot. Hot dogs and nachos. Got to the front and they were out of hot dogs. Returned to my seat after half time. Obviously the cheap food meant long lines but I’m not sure how that place handles a World Cup event without being a complete shite show.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0